View Single Post
      10-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
The M3/4 is THE heritage of the M brand and BMW will protect it with an evident advantage in performance (like Porsche does with the Cayman and 911).
I disagree with this line of reasoning. BMW threw all that "heritage" out the window when they changed the name. M4 is totally new, has no heritage and is basically a clean slate.

I think the M engineers are working at cross-purposes from what the BMW engineering team is working toward with the 3 and 4 series in general. The cars are being designed for broader mass appeal and are growing bigger and softer, which is somewhat antithetical to what the M team does.

They can only work with the platform. I think they should make the M2 as good as it possibly can be. If it's faster than the M4, then make it the same price. I have the budget for an M4, but I don't want the size. But I won't buy a car if it is deliberately hamstrung so as not to step on the toes of the "halo car."

My next car will most likely be a Cayman GTS or an M2 (the wait is killing me...) I don't really see anything else out there which interests me as much as those two cars. I could buy a Cayman now... If I wait for the M2, and the Cayman switches to a 4-banger, I won't want it. If the M2 disappoints, I will wish I bought a Cayman... Ahh, first world problems I guess.