Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I don't agree with this reasoning, but as I understand it the reason you can turn DSC/DTC off at all is because it's necessary in certain conditions; i.e., snow and ice. In these conditions, you need sometimes need wheel spin to be able to drive effectively. However, BMW has decided that since this is a "necessity only" feature, it's only available in comfort.

It appears that BMW felt the more lenient DSC parameters in Sport+ gives the driver all the headroom they need for enthusiastic driving. This is exactly the kind of nanny-state bullshit that I hate about certain other manufacturers. I'm hoping they do an about face on this one and provide an update that allows it to be defeated entirely.

What I can't figure out is, how are all the car mags pulling off these huge drifts with the M235i? Does this mean they're just leaving the car in comfort while doing those shots? And how has there been little to no mention of this in the press? VW was ripped to shreds by the automotive press for the faux pas they pulled with the Golf R and a non-defeatable ESP system, yet BMW gets a pass? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I don't agree with the reasoning either - it is definitely nanny state, as you say very accurately, and I think we as drivers should be able to ascertain when we need them and when we don't in this type of application. There is a big difference to me in defeating DSC or having anti-lock brakes as standard - but it seems that more and more, our choices and ability to make these decisions are taken away.

When I am in Sport +, I can get the back end to move around some, but it is definitely not the easiest thing to do - initially I had thought it was a function of "grip" but this conversation is making me start to wonder a little bit. My guess is that the mags are doing in Comfort - I surely don't think those kinds of slides would be achieveable with any of the traction control systems on...

I also wonder if the new M3/4 are subject to the same kind of limitations? I know there was an early delivery in the UAE, but I am not sure if the owner has tried to do too much with all the nannies off. There is a zillion page thread that I might scan through to see if he has tried...if not, maybe that's the thinking - when you have a "true" M, they dial the nannies in a different way?