basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

Edmunds tests the 228i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/...oad-test1.html

Not bad test numbers from conservative Edmunds.

Quote:
Thanks to a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution and excellent outward visibility, the 228i playfully bounds from corner to corner with solid athleticism and instills very high levels of driver confidence. Steering is quick with appropriate effort, though feedback at the limit could be better. Considering the 228i's 3,344-pound curb weight, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder twin-turbo engine provides more than enough power to entertain even jaded pilots.

2014 BMW 228i

At our test track the 240 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque propelled the rear-wheel-drive 228i to 60 mph in a very quick 5.1 seconds. The eight-speed automatic capitalizes on all available power with well-spaced gears and quick, smooth shifts. Gearchanges can be commanded by the driver through wheel-mounted paddles, which work as well as an automated dual-clutch transmission. Even better, the traditional automatic doesn't exhibit the low-speed lurches from which many automated manual transmissions suffer.

The $650 M Sport brakes repeatedly brought the 228i to a stop from 60 mph in a very short 111 feet, all while remaining very composed and controllable.
Quote:
Why Should You Consider This Car?
The execution of the 2014 BMW 228i is simply impressive. The 228i makes few compromises and you can tailor one to your taste — whether it favors luxury or performance. As potent a performer as the 228i is, it weakens the case for upgrading to the M235i.

Why Should You Think Twice About This Car?
Rear-seat space is the main drawback to the BMW 228i. It holds two adults and their luggage comfortably, but not much else. In its defense, competitors suffer the same fate to varying degrees. We also couldn't replicate the EPA's fuel economy ratings, but as manufacturers are so fond of saying, "Your mileage may vary."
Appreciate 0