View Single Post
      09-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #115
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

I know alot of driving enthusiasts dislike the variable ratio steering that comes with the THP (or standard on the M235), but now that I've done some serious driving in the car I've come to really like it. I took a road trip last weekend through Tail of the Dragon and then did 200 miles along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of twisties in there, and I found that with the variable steering I never had to shuffle the wheel or take my hands off it. When I was really pushing it, I just planted my hands at 10 and 2 and kept them there. That meant I was always ready for the next turn and that I could use the paddle shifters really easily. I also didn't feel like it put extra guess-work into finding the right lock...

Now, I still don't think it has much steering feel in any mode, which did limit the driving pleasure a bit. I doubt the MPSS were close to breaking loose at any point, but the possibility of being wrong and unexpectedly sliding (which would mean immediately hitting a tree or falling off a cliff) was discomforting.

As far as the suspension goes, I definitely feel the car tighten up in Sport and Sport+ but still get a bit of a floaty feeling at high speeds (100+ mph) when changing directions. At more normal/safe speeds, there is still some lean through hard turns - but for a car that's not really track-focused, it's quite good and stays planted on the road.

And finally, the brakes and tires are wonderful. They helped me feel confident braking late on Tail of the Dragon and already helped me avoid an accident during my regular commute. Enough said.

All in all, I think the THP was a great purchase and I love my 2er. I know it's far from the epitome of driving excellence (and you've got some work to do if you want to track it regularly), but for the combination of performance, comfort, looks, practicality, and affordability there's nothing else I would rather have.
Appreciate 1