View Single Post
      09-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #113
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Fair enough, and I might even add ARBs, caster and toe adjustments to that list but there are limits to what mechanical, hard to reverse, adjustments that any manufacturer of a luxury coupe will enable under the heading of "track handling". Meanwhile, the real track-handling mode within the THP-equipped 228i is the DTS OFF mode, which disengages traction control and variable-assist steering while providing the stiffest shock settings and linear throttle input. We'll see what track-orientated, mechanical adjustments come with the M2 but meanwhile, the THP, while not a comprehensive track conversion, or anything close, wakes the car up and provides a much firmer ride and road-holding characteristics. I would never consider buying the 228i without it.
I don't know about firmer ride and waking up the car. The basic m-sport suspension is quite good. During the 2014 model year, you could get the dynamic dampers/VSS and m-sport brakes as separate options. This is how it should be. When ordering, on advice from my CA, I decided against the DHP, and I am quite happy with the static m-sport suspension. It is a great compromise between handling and comfort, though I am sure the DHP car would be more comfy on rough roads. Although, given that I came from S2000 and Evo land, I don't mind a slightly firmer ride. I doubt a DHP car would lap any faster than a m-sport car, though without a head to head test, that is just speculation.

I do wish I had gotten the upgraded brakes. When the time comes to replace mine due to wear, I might go with the m-performance brake package and steel brake lines. When the time comes in about 40k miles to replace my dampers, I will probably go with a set of monotube bilsteins, and save myself 300 bucks by not having to disable EDC.
Appreciate 0