09-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #111
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape1 View Post
Perhaps them man means that variable ratio steering and so-so adaptive dampers have no place in a package that by name would suggest has a purpose in making the car track capable.

If you look at what the guys who regularly track their cars do, one of the first things is add camber plates, because the car chews up the front tires without more camber. They also tend to replace the dampers and disable EDC. They also almost always hate variable ration steering.

What a legitimate track package for the 2 series should have been would be upgraded brakes, more adjustability if the front camber, monotube dampers, and perhaps a limited slip diff. On a car so equipped, we probably wouldn't be talking about a scathing review of the track handling abilities of the 2 series.

Go soft dampers and variable ratio steering are comfort features. Not "track" features.
Fair enough, and I might even add ARBs, caster and toe adjustments to that list but there are limits to what mechanical, hard to reverse, adjustments any manufacturer of a luxury coupe will enable under the heading of "track handling". Meanwhile, the real track-handling mode within the THP-equipped 228i is the DTS OFF mode, which disengages traction control and variable-assist steering while providing the stiffest shock settings and linear throttle input. We'll see what track-orientated, mechanical adjustments come with the M2 but meanwhile, the THP, while not a comprehensive track conversion, or anything close, wakes the car up and provides a much firmer ride and road-holding characteristics. I would never consider buying the 228i without it.

Last edited by BarryJI; 09-09-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0