View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #126
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I've read a lot of this thread, and I agree with much of the sentiment, from another enthusiast's perspective. I too would love to see a 2GC hit the market and sell like hotcakes.

But I have to ask: aren't we sort of painting with broad strokes here? We're all disappointed, but how much of the population do we make up? Is the average consumer going to notice the absence of a 2GC? Or is the average consumer going to look at a 3-series and love the fact that they can stretch out inside of it, and not care whether it's a boat?

We all say: "How could BMW leave that segment empty? They could come in and dominate by offering something in CLA/A3 compact 4-door packaging with the added benefit of RWD!" But we're all discerning consumers- we recognize the value of a small, sporty RWD sedan. Meanwhile, the average consumer doesn't care. They don't care that the AWD system in the CLA/A3 is FWD biased. They don't see RWD as the holy grail; in fact they'd probably prefer something they can drive all year long. We know the 2GC would be a great car because it would give us 4-doors while correcting everything that's wrong with the 3-series; they probably don't see anything wrong with the 3-series.

The best argument is price, IMO, because I think that's all the average consumer cares about. We might think no one would cross-shop the CLA and the 3-series because one's sporty and compact and the other one has become a boat. But I'd be willing to bet that if someone optioned out a CLA into 3-series territory, they'd walk over to BMW before making the plunge, and they'd seriously contemplating getting a 3-series, because they view the added space as a benefit and they don't care whether the electronic steering feels "lifeless" or whether it plows in the corners or what the 0-60 time is. They wouldn't appreciate the option of a 2GC because they wouldn't appreciate the tradeoff between size and performance. They just care what it's going to cost.

If BMW doesn't think it could make a 2GC that is both competitive with CLA/A3 pricing and at the same time wouldn't offset its own justification by cannibalizing current 3-series sales, then the car doesn't make sense. It's a sad reality, but if you want a car company that exists to solely to please the enthusiasts, look elsewhere. I don't know if you'll find one.

Final note: I also don't think this news necessarily means they won't do a 2GC. I think we should relax.

EDIT: apologies, people have posted saying pretty much the exact same thing since the time I started writing this.
Appreciate 0