Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I understand it. Its a pain in the azz to deal with two sets if tires. I lived in Oregon and we got 400 inches a year in the mountains. I never had problems on AW tires the 10 years I lived there. That being said I drove like I did not have AWD on bad roads. I gave myself plenty of distance between cars and slowed the hell down. If you drive like you have a brain you dont need winter tires.
Until some bonehead without a brain does something stupid in front of you and you need to turn or stop. Yes, you can "get by" without appropriate tires. If I wanted to "get by" I would run winter tires all year round, because winter tires in the summer are WORLDS better than no-season tires in the winter. They just wear out faster. Certainly AWD is NOT a substitute for have the right rubber on the road. And with appropriate winter tires, you can run higher performance tires the rest of the year. A few feet of decreased stopping distance is the difference between a cold sweat shower and an insurance claim.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0