View Single Post
      01-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

Detroit M235i/228i first impressions and a LED rant

(Yes this is my first post here but I'm not new to BMWs. I've just spent the last 8 years or so at e46fanatics.)

So I checked out the M235i and 228i at the Detroit auto show on Saturday and really liked the car. I love the modern BMW interiors, especially vs what was on the E90 3 series. I thought that gen was actually a step backwards from the E46, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, the car is great inside and out and I can't wait to drive it. I was a little disappointed with the trunk opening as it's a bit narrower than my E46. I'm glad to see they didn't cheap out like many other brands and get rid of hydraulic struts for the trunk and hood. I think the rear seat is slightly smaller too, though it's not like the E46 coupe has excessive amounts of room in back either.

Now here comes the rant about a purely cosmetic feature that gets under my skin every time. Feel free to skip this part if you don't want to hear someone's opinion on an admittedly minor thing I find ridiculous about BMWs and I'm aware is not a new complaint. You've been warned!

One thing I really hated is that this is unbelievably yet another brand new BMW with incandescent turn signals. That M235i on the show floor had a big orange bulb for a turn signal in the headlight cluster and again in the taillight (though I couldn't actually see that one since the light is opaque). This even thought the car had xenons with LED eyebrows!

I was at the Detroit show for 8 hours (pretty much saw everything there) and it's getting to the point now that even non-luxury cars use LEDs for brake lights, but maybe not for turn signals yet. But ALL the other luxury brands such as MB, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Porsche, etc are LED across their entire lineup.

How many times is BMW going to come out with brand new cars and purposefully leave off LEDs only to add them back again a few years later with the LCI? Can you imagine if suddenly a new 3 came out and they removed the option for iDrive/Nav and you had to wait until LCI for it to come back again? It makes no sense at all, especially since BMW seems to be the only manufacturer doing this.

Look at the unbelievable LED progression on the 3 series:
2001 E46 coupe/vert: incandescent turn signals
2004 E46 coupe/vert: LED turn signals

2006/7 E90: incandescent turn signals
2010? E90: LED turn signals

2012 F30: incandescent turn signals
Future LCI F30: LED turn signals?

And now the 2 series gets this same treatment as well. Going backwards intentionally to later give the LCI an upgrade in looks brings down the whole brand IMO. Such a cheesy and transparent move that adds a completely unnecessary flaw to an otherwise great new car.

If you think it's odd that I find this one cosmetic thing so annoying, think about it this way: One of the reasons I love BMWs is because they don't usually do stupid things that make no sense. Almost everything is done for a logical reason, even if that approach costs more, and usually I find it's a reason that makes perfect sense to me. This sticks out at a reason not based on any logic other than later marketing the LCI upgrade.

That cosmetic fetish/pet-peeve aside, almost everything else about the 2 series looks excellent and I'm more interested in it than any BMW since my E46.
Appreciate 0