View Single Post
      12-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #59
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

My quote function is messed up, but to Pete above, I feel exactly the same as you we want something that hasn't been dreamed up yet. But what if the displacement of a n20 based 4 cyl was beefed up to like 2.4L, through the use of larger piston bores, not a stroker. Could in theory keep a higher redline, while getting the increased low end torque out of the motor allowing for a bigger huffer. Granted, the way BMW must modify existing motors to make things make sense to the bean counters that may not be possible. Way back in the late 80's GM (Oldsmobile) had a modified HO Quad4 with a turbo that made like 250 hp. given the dramatic advances, I feel like there's something here. Even AMG has that hopped up 4 popper that is getting some nice reviews, but that thing is running some pretty insane boost right off the showroom floor.

What's more, straight 4's are inherently unbalanced motors, so modern 4 cylinder motors are encumbered with balance shafts and other weight/complexity adding measures to make them smooth and sound less bad.