View Single Post
      12-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #91
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I read this Lamborghini R&D Chief interview a long while ago. I do not agree with him about this "servo" thing and it's lack of driver engagement regarding the late model MT driving experience. I have no idea what a "servo" means to him, but from what he described, it appears he's talking about hydraulic assistance on the clutch. MTs have used this incredibly simple, cheap, and effective setup for decades and decades to reduce pedal effort. Lots of clutch pedal assemblies also use helper springs on the pedal assembly to reduce clutch pedal effort. Everything else that's typically incorporated on 1990s and later MTs is mostly there to reduce NVH. Things like dual mass flywheels and self-adjusting clutches come to mind as well as lots of bushings and vibration damping material on the shifter assembly and/or cable shifter actuation. There's also the downshifting rev matching feature that many late model MTs employee, but in most cars, you can turn that off.

Lamborghini (and every other super car maker) got rid of the MT because most of its owners are not driving enthusiasts and wouldn't be bothered driving a MT. Plus, when you've got a car with such massive acceleration potential and a driver that's inexperienced, of course an auto is a better choice. Also, autos are generally more reliable because the automaker can design in systems to keep the user from doing stupid, transmission killing actions. This is largely why most automakers push autos and as well as to cut costs. They tout better acceleration and mpgs as ways to entice buyers into getting on board with autos.

In the M235, the MT driving experience is far from raw. There's lots of stuff employed to make the experience comfortable and to an extent, somewhat muted. I've owned lots of manuals over the years and I find it quite good for a sport/luxury car. Adding a M Performance shifter adds some additional feel and directness and "snick" sounds. An Ultimate Clutch Pedal can greatly improve pedal feel and weight. You can add a single mass flywheel for more response, at the expenses of some drivetrain noise and vibration. You can add stiffer transmission bushings and an aftermarket shift assembly. All these mods can increase the rawness, almost to sub-1990s cars levels if that's what you want.

If people demanded and bought more manuals, then automakers would definitely make more of them. Companies like Porsche recognize that keeping the manual improves it's brand image and they still sell well, especially in expensive premier models.

Not all of us care about all out speed/acceleration and we welcome the involvement. When you go to Cars and Coffee, take note of the comments when people see a manual and the automatic variant. Even a manual M235 draws lots of approving comments and even surprise because many have never seen one or didn't know it was an option. That's saying A LOT.