View Single Post
      07-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
Japper
Rep
Drives: F25 x35i, M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
If the Haldex in the RS3 is anything like the system in the new Golf R, it will preemptively send torque to the rear wheels under the right conditions (throttle input and velocity).

Don't get me wrong, it will still be balanced with a bias toward understeer, and it will still have typically numb Audi steering, but it will be blazingly fast. The fastest way around a track is to drive the car at the limit the greatest percentage of the time possible. For the vast majority of drivers (even pro drivers), it is easier to hang on the edge of the limit when a car is balanced toward understeer, because understeer correction is easy to execute, and the penalties aren't as severe. Understeer causes you to apex wide and scrub speed. Oversteer requires quick counter-steer correction and delicate throttle balance... and you still run wide. The difference is, oversteer can result in you facing the wrong direction on the track, while understeer cannot

Obviously I'm playing devils advocate. I've cast my lot (RWD with oversteer plz!), and I'll take fun over tenths any day of the week. I try to keep a sense of perspective though.
I know, and they claim it can send 100% to rear wheels too

I used to drive Audi's all the time in Scotland until i drove a BMW with snow tyres in winter and discovered it was far better and fun to boot

Audi styling used to be great, also VW but now they are all BLAND!
Appreciate 0