Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

FabSpeed Sport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
I really appreciate you posting this info. I am seriously considering this as my next mod. I have two concerns that maybe you can comment on.
1. The increased engine sound is desirable but are you experiencing any RPM specific drone? Sound under acceleration I like, but if it drones it will drive me crazy. 2. I know the disclaimers about not being "street legal" and that doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that it might void my cars warranty. Thoughts?
Thanks.
When you are just cruising, whether around town or at highway speeds, there is no drone. I would remove any exhaust that droned as it would get tiring very quickly. Under acceleration, the car sounds wonderful! As another member noted, it is a bit louder on cold startup, but I really don't think it is that loud and goes away after a few seconds. I have cars around me that sound much louder on startup in the morning. As for the warranty, that is a bit of a tricky question. BMW frowns on just about ANY modification to their cars, unless it is made by BMW and installed by them. I just had my car in for its first scheduled oil service, so of course, the car was up on a lift, and they did not comment about it at all. Whether or not they would try to deny warranty service if a major engine component failed, is another question and probably each set of circumstances is a bit different, so no one can say for sure that in every conceivable circumstance BMW would not object to the cat. Probably the most obvious "problem" is if your car failed its emissions test (if you have those in your state), BMW would likely lay the blame for that on the sport cat. We currently don't have emissions testing in my state/city, so I can't comment on whether the sport cat would pass or not. I guess if the worst case scenario happened and your car failed the test, you could put the factory cat back on for the retest. Other than that, I doubt you would ever have an issue with any exhaust mod causing a warranty problem....but as I said, some BMW dealerships take a dim view of any mod not using BMW parts and performed by BMW mechanics, so it sort of depends on your dealer to a certain extent.
Appreciate 1