12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #85
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
My above post was just trying to point out that a four cylinder turbo will not "yet" surpass a six cylinder twin turbo which has 50 % more displacement, at least not in the coming few years, later is another story of course.
I don't think anybody said that. The point is that the M2 will just not "need" that extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
In these lean times (despite the fact that BMW is doing exceptionally well and bucking the trend), how much R&D, time and money will BMW and sister division ///M put into a 4 cyl motor destined to power such a niche vehicle as the M2 (and probably a 4 dr version of some sort later on)??

Kardboard argues why BMW would put essentially the same motor into the M2 and M4 (albeit detuned for the M2). To counter, the N55 appears to be BMW's bread and butter motor that powers just about everything in their lineup in some form or another - with minor adjustments to tune, etc depending on the model. In the upcoming M4, the N55 will have been developed to its zenith...and M4 buyers will be justifiably paying for the ultimate in precision and power from this highly modified engine.

To build upon the N55 in the euro M135 and bring it up to the appropriate performance expectations of consumers (everyone's talking somewhere between 340 and 360 hp for either the 4 cyl or 6 cyl) would be exceptionally cost effective and still offer a discernable distinction between the current M-Performance motor and one destined for the M2. A similar distinction (actually much greater, approx. +100 hp) will separate the M2 and the M3. So yes....similar building blocks but 3 very unique end products.

And if there are concerns that the performance levels of future M2's and M4's would be too close with the N55 as it's core motor, there'll be even greater concerns about the similarities between the M-Performance I-6 and M2 I-4 motors once the M135/M235 are global automobiles. M135/M235 owners will be in their glory and will they "step up" to a 4 cylinder motor?

Speaking of which, the N20, is similarly populating the BMW range, from the X1 through to the 5 series here in N/A. It's a great motor (I've driven it extensively in X1's and F30's) but bumping it up in power (from a reliable 240 hp/260 lbs tq) to the 350-360 range with the appropriate low-end grunt that the M-Performance I-6 provides will be a financial challenge. And "reliable" at this level means typical BMW overengineering which equates to more $$$.

As for weight....I strongly suspect that BMW ///M will compensate their use of the modified N55 with structural modifications to the 2 er platform. The exceptionally consistant rave reviews that the M-Performance M135i has garnered are the result of BMW ///M's "engineering & content medling" to the tune of only 30% or so over an AG model. A purpose-built ///M vehicle is massaged by ///M division to the tune of 80% over an AG model (as per BMW's Christof Lischka). Wow...what would the owners and drivers of the M135i do with all that extra magic???

I think we'll find out with the M2...and it's I-6

If BMW will not do that, spend R&D for an M2 worthy engine, it will be really disapointing for all true BMW enthusiasts. How come the everything that made up BMW is now done better by its rivals? How is it Audi Quattro can spend on a "new" 2.0l I4 making 300 PS, evenmoreso Mercedes AMG on a brand new 2.0l I4 making 350 PS (if rumors are true)?

I really do not know what will an I6 bring for an M2? The BRZ/GT86 was voted COTY by so many journals, on paper it was really to worst, and even in real life its 200 Nm are almost shameful for a car called sportscar.

I do understand you however, for getting from a V8 (E9XM) to an I4 (M2).
Appreciate 0