03-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #68
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Interesting rumours at Geneva point to some US Dealers refusing to sell the Active Tourer.

But Chrysler are looking for more dealers in the States.
Smart, it would instantly drop the premium image of the brand in the US, in my opinion. I guess that would give BMW a justification to raise the price on 2er and 3er models though. Let's face it, at $33k US, the 320i is a bargain. I don't see the 2er Active Tourer starting at any less that $27k US if sold here. Who in the right mind wouldn't move to a 320i for such a small premium. I guess the case can be made for the utility that the new fwd has, but who wouldn't rather have the (ghastly) X1 if the need is space and utility (The x1 reminds me of a Subaru, great car, lots of usable wagony space, tallish stance, but not easy on the eyes).

BMW can be admired for putting their dick in the wind and taking chances on the stratification of their models, some of the new ones look great, but many people like myself would prefer a back to basics approach as part of their strategy. I mean, if you can sell a 3er GT and an X4 which are so so similar, why the hell can't they sell a 328i and 335i wagon, non xi with a stick and for a reasonable price? They are putting cars in the marketplace which will no doubt be low volume, I don't understand why they cannot, or will not add enthusiast models back in that exist in other markets and would have a minimal impact on r&d costs. A 320i, 328i and 335i wagon avail with a stick and m-sport kit would do so much in terms of good will for the people that have been into bmw for a long time.

And stop requiring people to get those needless option packages to get the one or two items that the buyer actually wants. Most people that have driving competency do not need a back up monitor in a mid size or compact sedan or wagon. And many people that have lived in the same area for their entire lives certainly do not need navigation- when they take trips they either get a AAA trip tik or a map or nav on their phone. AND finally people who live in snow areas should not be forced to buy xi cars because it snows 45-60 days a year when snow tires/near 50/50 weight balance/driving skill make for easy winter time transport. In all these years in the snow belt, I have never been stuck in the snow in my old school 330i.

Edit, sorry for the rant, I know for a fact that I am not a global automotive marketing expert, just blowing off some steam