View Single Post
      10-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

This is my first BMW. I bought my M235 new back in Feb of this year. The car has 8,000 miles. No issues at all in 10 months of ownership.

I too was/is like you with concerns about BMW short and long term reliability. I researched the heck out of it because I tend to keep my cars for 4 to 6 years thus I would potentially be outside of the warranty period. Based on my research, the ONLY BMWs I'd consider owning long term would be N55-equipped 2 and 3 series BMWs. The less tech, the better. Luckily, many of the major electrical and drivetrain parts between the 2 and 3 series are the same and have been out for a while. BMW learned their lesson with the somewhat complex N54 twin turbo motor. They addressed many of it's problems with the single turbo N55. Parts in general are far less expensive and easier to access.

The ZF automatic in these cars is reliable and is used in many other auto makes beyond BMW. The moonroof should be fine as well. I've owned numerous cars with moonroofs over the years and never has a single issue. I don't see how a BMW would be any different. It's such a common system. With that said, I did order mine with the moonroof deleted only because I wanted less weight at the top of the car and more chassis rigidity.
Appreciate 0