05-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #20
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto
I have two reactions to Zooks's sad story. First, very sincere sympathies to Zooks and others who have invested time and money in the 3rd party amp and may now have to deal with this kind of inconvenience. I really do feel badly for those folks who may have to face this.

Second, for those who are still thinking about how to improve the sound in the 2-series, I would urge they consider the simple speaker swap and noise reduction I described in the Dr. Strangelove thread.

The only reason I can think to go in the direction of the Bimmertech and/or Bavsound (considering distribution and quality control issues that have been reported) route(s) would be demonstrably superior sound. I could be persuaded by that argument since I really care about good sound but, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to compare the competing modifications. Absent that, I just can't see putting an additional $1300 (beyond the $350 cost of the Eton/JL solution) into the sound system, at least at this point.

I should say this gets to one of my original complaints about the car's audio, that the system is so closely tied to the I-controller and computer circuitry of the car, that replacing audio components is a real challenge. That's on you, BMW. You require people to pay a premium for the "premium" system but what they get is below par and then turns out to be difficult to correct. The system could have been designed with the same electronics and adequate speakers for very little more money.

OK, I guess that's three reactions. Maybe four.
Well, I have the hi-fi system. :/ I'm gonna do a speaker swap first to see how that goes. I disconnected the center speaker and it also made a difference like it does in the HK setup. It's good enough for now until have to drive with the windows up. Wind noise pretty much obliterates any chance of sound quality.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0