View Single Post
      05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #146
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
While I understand the limited timeline for the 1M, I think an a tuned N55 is the only engine that makes sense given the future line up:

M235i - 315 hp I6 N55
M3/4 - 450 hp I6 S55
Don't forget:

MY2015+ 335/435/535/640/740/etc: ~340hp hp I6 B68

Also, don't be surprised if the S55 doesn't hit 450hp in non-ZCP form.

Quote:
It just doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint to slot an I4 between the N55 M235i and the M3/4 S55.
I'll definitely agree that it might not be the most obvious progression when you look at the lineup, but it will make sense if the M I4 has greater power output and weighs less than the N55. That's not a very tough sell. And before we talk about the relative potential for aftermarket tunes, lets remember just how few people actually modify there cars in the grand scheme of things. That's not a significant piece of the business case, not like weight and efficiency are anyway.

Quote:
Also, I don't believe there is a financial case to be made for developing a third turbo charged I6 engine for one car (design, multiple country emissions testing and certification, etc.). All M cars are relatively small volume cars.
Based on that reasoning the S55 makes just as much sense as the N55 if not more. And remember, the four cylinder M engine could easily be used in other cars, including potentially as many as half a dozen FWD 1 series M offerings and also a Z2M, perhaps in a lesser state of tune. Certainly those cars could handle more than a 240hp N20 (or 2XXhp B48). Lots of hot hatchlets make that kind of power and more.

Finally, if we are really just trying to leverage economies of scale, then an N63 powered M3/M4/X3M/X4M/etc would make more sense than developing an S55. How about an N74 powered M5/M6/X5M/X6M? It fits in there just fine you know? But there are other concerns that make the I6 the better choice for the midsize Ms and the V8 the better choice for the full size Ms. Same thing applies here for an I4 although those concerns may not be the same (packaging is not an obstacle in this case).

If the M135i/M235i weren't here today (and perhaps we had an "N20S" powered 130iM/230iM coming instead, suppose) there would be little doubt about the chance for a four cylinder M2. My thinking on this is that M Division has some very unique features coming for the M3/M4 that are going to make people think about performance in a completely different light. That's just a hunch. But if I am right, then I think the true potential of a smaller, lighter engine will become a very saleable point for all future M vehicles from that point forward, including the M2.
Appreciate 0