View Single Post
      08-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The ZF 8AT is stellar in this car. So good in fact that BMW is phasing out the DCT for modified ZF 8ATs (true story). The 8AT cars are quicker/faster than the 6MT cars because they can build boost on the launch, hold boost on the shifts, and are better geared. The ZF 8AT is pretty stout and you'll never have to replace a clutch. If I was competitively racing this car, I'd definitely have the 8AT.

With that said, you'll be hard pressed to find threads on the BMW forums of 6MT owners wishing they got the auto/DCT. However, there are plenty of threads and posts of auto owners wishing they got the 6MT. That's very telling

If you want a manual, get the manual. Lots of people settle for the 8AT because they can't find a 6MT or got a crazy deal on the 8AT and convince themselves it's great because of the performance advantage. They enjoy it for a few months and then they grow bored of it. It happens all the time.

The 6MT is really exceptional in feel and execution. My only compliant is the long and high clutch pedal, but that can be fixed. Finding a used 6MT will prove to be quite difficult plus when you find them, they command a much higher price because they're so sought after and rare (~8% of M235s are manuals).
Appreciate 0