Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
I've been having very similiar thoughts of switching to a 981(likely the turbo 4 next year).

An M2 and a base cayman will be essentially the same price. Despite the plethora of options, all you really need in a cayman is the sport suspension, so 53-55k. Same price bracket as the M2.

The downside is the euro delivery. Porsche bakes in a 3k charge at the dealer that you'll ultimately be paying, and you need to put up a 19% VAT until the car is back in the states.

M2 will be a more "special" vehicle and will turn more heads than a base cayman, but it won't touch the cayman in handling or balance.
I think all I would need would be the PASM, PDK, ventilated seats (WOW were those awesome), and one of the 19' wheel options. I think that keeps me below 75, which is where most of the F80s I was speccing out were ending up. Perhaps that's just how much I need to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1Pilot View Post
This is a great thread, I'm glad you got to experience all those cars. The Cayman S/GTS is on my radar as well.

The M2 needs to come in performance wise in-between the Cayman S and GTS (based on M235 laptimes, this shouldn't be too hard to do).

Even at that, it is entirely a value proposition... I am expecting about a $15 -20K difference given same relative performance; I think a "base" M2 will be a better drive than a base Cayman.

I am glad you liked the PDK as well... it is probably one of the best gearboxes out there. Careful in P-car land though.. to me their cars are keepers, while Bimmers are flippers.

So many choices, so little garage space.
I think you're right - this might have been sales guy bullshit, but he was talking about how BMW artificially inflates their residuals because they have a lot of banking power - which leads to low monthly lease payments and happy customers...except at the end of the lease, your car isn't worth the predetermined price that was calculated at the lease inception, and you have no interest in buying it...so what do you do? Lease another one - and you're in a perpetual cycle of car "flipping" as you state below.

I think you are absolutely right. If I end up going this route, I am going to put a nice chunk of change down on it and finance the rest over 5 years. If I get a raise or a nice bonus in there somewhere, then I will work on paying it off more quickly. Either way, this is the first car I have considered purchasing in a long time - I think that says something...

I was watching videos last night and there's one from EVO I think that compared the base Cayman to the 235 - and the base Cayman beat it on the track, despite being down 60 NHP and 100 torques. There is just something magical about how that car handles - is it a screamer? No - you aren't going to be winning from light to light in it, but you won't in the M2 either.

I think BMW has it's respective work cut out for it on the M2. It is going to need to be really really good - and considering that the 235 and Cayman S aren't even in the same area code, I am now more skeptical that they can do it. We shall see.