View Single Post
      06-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
I am still concerned about how engine shape / size / weight affects those results.

If small tweaks can make or break those tests, I think an engine size could have an even bigger impact. Does anybody honestly think that test-results of a 4-cylinder Mustang Ecobox would be equivalent to 8-cylinder iron-block 600hp monstrosity they will put in a Shelby ?

Does anybody (preferably with an engineering background) has an answer ?
The correct answer is that we don't know. Given no other changes or variables, the reduction in crush space from a 4 to the block of a 6 would lead one to suspect a reduction in dissipation of force by the surrounding structure. But, we do not know what countermeasures BMW may have applied for the 6, nor the engine kinematic strategy, such as a downward path with strategically yielding mounts. Until a 235i is tested, we simply do not know the outcome, although BMW most assuredly does from their internal testing. From my prior experience in the Vehicle Safety Office in a car company (managerial, not an engineer), I believe with high confidence that all car companies now include the IIHS protocol as a program objective due to the marketing impact of the public information.
Appreciate 0