View Single Post
      05-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #259
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundForHire View Post
I've driven the ZF 8HP in several BMWs and Audis, and I find it to be a poor replacement for the Getrag DCT that BMW has offered in the 135 since 2011. 100 ms vs 200 ms, lazy paddle shift feel, and a general slush about it(especially in the F30s i've driven).

Is it better than a normal automatic? Absolutely- but it feels like a step backward from the DCT that BMW has offered at a cost for a few years now. All people want is for that to continue.

I'll drive the M235i when it makes its way stateside, but that gearbox is a deciding factor for me. If it isn't up to snuff, I'll pass on the M235i and wait for the M2. I'll buy something else in the meantime.
The ZF sport AT is as good and sweet as the DCT.
The ZF is a bit smoother due to the torque converter.
Speed of shift is nearly as fast, and response of the ZF is amazing nothing sluggish about it at all.

I love it in my 335i.
But, I decided to try an AT due to the ZF, but I still miss the fun of MT and I really want to go back to MT for my next car.
I hope BMW does offer an MT. A 7spd MT would be really cool but not likely to happen.
If they do an MT I really hope they shorten the clutch travel, the shifter throw, and fix the 1-2 shift for quicker operation, as it was a bit slow in my 135i.

As or the M235i it looks fantastic. I like it a lot.
I wish the front overhang were shorter though more like the 135i and E46.
That was a very cool aspect of BMW design from years ago, a short front overhang that gave the cars a cool sporty look.
With the F30 BMW seems to have abandoned the short overhang and I don't know why.

The proportions of the 2 look really good and it doesn't look much bigger than the outgoing US 1 series, judging by the people standing around it.
The rear trunk is really short like the 1, which still had plenty of trunk room and if you needed more just lay the rear seats down.

There's one thing that has me concerned about the new interior.
Look at the bottom of the inner door panel. That huge looking storage bin looks like it will protrude into the legs. The bins are big in my F30 335i, and in the 2 they look even bigger. I hope they don't protrude towards the cabin space too much.

I will likely get one of these in space gray with red, or maybe white with red.
But, if BMW make a sedan, then I may be all over that instead, even if it's a bit longer. I don't need an M version. 3.0T is plenty, even the 2.0T will be sweet in this sized car.
BRING IT!
Appreciate 0