04-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #47
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
I understand the differences between a factory option and what BMW is selling. Even so, I am not sure, other than economies of scale, why it should be so much more expensive than what Porsche is offering. There is nothing about installing it at the factory that would make the part any more or less expensive. The $3200 dollar price doesn't include labor to install it at the dealer, so people can't claim that is the difference. Even if they did, it is still only 2 hours of labor.

That leaves simple economies of scale. I would be curious to see how many LSDs Porsche installs on Caymans compared to BMW's projected demand as that would speak directly to the economies of scale.

My guess is that they are simply pricing it at 50% more than an aftermarked LSD rather than basing the price on the cost of manufacturing, but that is just a guess.
I think it might really be BMW just likes to overprice their things.

Another example is the BMW performance seats. You can get the recaros on the CLA45 AMG for 2,250. While none have been released yet for the newer models, the BMW performance seats are double that price! One is a factory option, while the other isn't. Both are, btw, made by Recaro!