StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack003 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I wonder why the manual 228i 0-60 estimate (6.2/s) is so much greater than the 8-speed auto (5.4/s). Can we blame the gear ratios for this disparity? Perhaps it is a typo...
Beats me, I like the ratios of the manual 228i. And assuming the carrier is the same, it would accept the lsd as well. I've been saying all along the 228i, M sport (why not m228i by the way) would be the hot ticket. Its got a short rear end ratio, and tranny ratios similar to a gm 6 speed manual. Same foes got the 328i m sport. Lighter front end, pointy front grip. That n20 is clearly under rated going by acceleration times. I really think the new 228i m sport can be more closely compared to an e36 m3, only much quicker. With a suspension that is geared towards stiffness and handling (Like the e36 m3) rather than comfort, I really expect the 2er to be a talented car. The only thing that concerns me is that the wheel base and width grew in similar ratios, as compared to overall length. I don't know what implications that has for front end grip and civilized behavior, compared to what many 135i owners felt in terms of under steer and nervous performance. (Not a dig at the 1er, with a couple easy changes, it is truly a performer).

Look at the highway mpg on the m235i, auto compared to stick... why they use such a short od in 6th gear in the stick is beyond me. Follow GMs lead and give the stick an opportunity to get better highway mpg by using a taller od. No reason for 6th to be at least .67 instead of .85.

Last edited by StealYourFace; 02-25-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0