Thread: Rear vents
View Single Post
      09-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
It will be much more aggressive. Look at the red prototype, it has giant flares. Looks like they came of the F80, looks great
Remember that the 1M got its hallmark fenders for a functional reason: decently hosting precious ///M bits and pieces (as we know, the 1M benefits from almost the entire E9X M3 chassis and suspension - the only differences are the front subframe carried over from the E82 135i and the absence of the stiffening plate). So, enter flared fenders for the 1M.

BMW M pulled the same trick with the F80 M3: for a functional reason the M3 fenders are more "flared" than those of the M4:
"You might think that the BMW M3 and M4 are the same car, and for all practical intents and purposes, you would be correct. But I'll let you in on a little secret. While the underbits are basically the same, they're wearing very different dresses. See, the M4 has a wider body and some aero deficiencies compared to the M3, so it gets a special carbon fiber trunk. Woo. Hoo.
The M3 is the better looking car, and there are two simple words that will make you understand that: Fender flares. See, the sedan body [M3] is narrower than that of the M4, but the track is the same. Instead of just letting the wheels flail out there in the open, BMW covered them carefully and, dare I say, sensually.
No, it doesn't have a carbon trunk lid and instead makes do with a little add on lip spoiler, but that pock mark cannot spoil glorious fender flares. Combine that with the aggressive front end and bulging hood, and you have a real winner on your hands. I even like the Bimmerangs."
http://jalopnik.com/2015-bmw-m3-the-...iew-1635342844
So if you want to ensure that BMW M gets the M2 some flared fenders, ask them to get the M2 a wider track than the M235i. Form follows function: wider track = flared fenders are a bare necessity.

Name:  M4_M3.jpg
Views: 4943
Size:  88.9 KB