danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
As someone else said, most auto glass is not 100% clear. Most cars come with a light tint embedded in the glass (sometimes sandwiched between the layers in safety glass).

The front windows also pick up more interior light as there is more light behind them from the windshield and larger glass on the opposite side. The rear glass is smaller and typically in front of the darker rear seat area, picking up less light and giving the illusion of it being darker.

Still, the OP is right. From his pic angles, it does appear that the rear windows are darker than the front. It wouldn't surprise me, but I hadn't noticed it before.

FYI...I got my car lightly-tinted with 3M ceramic tint at a *fantastic* place in LA. Did it a bit for cosmetics but mostly for the cooling effect. I'm very happy with the results and the car is much cooler, which is good as it's been in the 100's this week. Highly recommend doing this to help insulate the car and preserve the interior from sun damage.
I agree that auto glass is not usually 100% clear, but my 228i's glass definitely appears to be darker than my E90 328i's glass. This seems to be true even for the front side windows. I haven't had a chance to take pictures to verify, though.

Before I got the car, I was definitely planning to do light tint all around for the UV protection and heat rejection (not interested in darkening). I'm still thinking I'll probably do something, but I'd really like to know what the qualities of the factory glass are so I avoid doing any unnecessary tinting.

Appreciate 0