Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lipowich View Post
Bump to an old thread.

Keep in mind. On N20, seems there are two heat exchangers for the oil cooling.
I suspect the second coolant radiator is not added on because the coolant temp is actually dangerously high when strained. But it was probably significantly safer and more affordable to bring down the coolant temp to cool the oil more effectively, than adding another oil cooler.

Consider... Catastrophic loss of oil vs coolant.

Bet you shut down and save engine faster with coolant leak than oil.

The heat exchangers tend to be safe and reliable, low risk, and, heats up the oil quickly on start up vs air cooled.

I haven't reviewed location of heat exchanger. On S62 it is parked in valley which heats up the air intake! (Dinan DP moved it) hopefully ours don't hear up the intake charge, and allow at least convection cooling. They are not as dependent on airflow as you may think, the coolant whisks away the heat.

May join the fray.... Considering sale of 3 cars to justify the 228
The primary oil heat exchanger on the 228 is just behind the driver's-side headlamp, fairly close to the air intake. Not much airflow there, but plenty of space around it ... the second one is relatively small and right on top of the engine.

Regarding coolant radiators on the 228: that the Track Handling Package -- and, more specifically, the larger brakes that come with the THP -- are the trigger for the second aux coolant radiator on the 228 makes some sense regarding your theory. Consider that BMW's operating-temperature parameters for coolant temp actually decrease as the driving mode harshness (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) is increased -- i.e., the 'normal' operating range is several degrees higher in Comfort than it is in Sport, etc.) -- seems to support a heavier predicted use of THP-equipped cars in harsh conditions such as racing and track driving. To keep the engine operating within parameters in Sport+ mode would require a lower overall operating temp for the coolant, which may require the extra aux radiator in the eyes of BMW engineers.
Appreciate 0