View Single Post
      03-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #23
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
I think they just roll the remainder of your payments into the new lease. You're paying for it either way...
This is only true if you decide to not negotiate the new car or not understand what your payments should be.

In normal circumstances, if you had a lease and showed up 6 months before it terminated, the dealer would roll in your negative equity from the buyout price, or the remaining payments into the new lease payment. In this case, yes, you are paying for it either way, and only the dealer is involved. Any dealer will gladly take a car you have and sell you a new one.

The pull ahead program is only available at specific times, and BMW NA themselves (not the dealers) run the program. BMW will offer the dealer a buyback price on your car. If your car is something desirable that the dealer wants for their used car inventory they can take it, however they are ALLOWED to say no.

This means if you show up with a car that is 50k over the allowed mileage, has been in a wreck, etc they can say "sorry your car doesn't qualify" and you are SOL. Or more likely, they will roll whatever negative equity into your new lease terms so they don't get burned.

If you are like many people who drive BMW's though, who take generally good care of the vehicle, are under mileage, then it is valuable to them.

BMW will also offer "Mulligans" that are incentives that if a dealer takes back a certain number of pull ahead vehicles, they can take in a crap vehicle and just send it directly to BMW NA for auction.

When moving from lease to lease you need to consider:

1 - What a good deal is on the car you want
2 - What damages exist on your current vehicle that will factor into the negotiations ("waiving" damages usually just rolls the true cost back into your new lease)
3 - Whether or not your car has any pre-existing issues/mileage/etc that will make it undesirable.

If you have all those numbers available and understand what your lease price should be, there is no way for a dealer to ring you around. In many cases the pull ahead is a great deal for the dealers since they sell you a new car, and can get newer cars with lower mileage and better condition into their used car lots.