View Single Post
      11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Agree with all of the above, and most of the sentiment here. I remember when a Z4 was very nicely equipped for around $40k. Now it's $70k?? Sorry, but my middle/upper middle class income hasn't increased by 75% in the last decade, so forget the Z4. For comparison, my GT stickered for $42k. Had BMW offered me a nicely equipped Z4 with its retractable hardtop (for year round driving in the north) for $40k-$45k, it would've been a 50/50 shot between the two. But, I couldn't even consider the Z4 at the asinine price BMW wants for it.

We are now at the point of $80k+ M3s. A $100k 3 series is just a few years away, no joke. I mean seriously?

Agreed on the 328i - $50k-$60k for a basic 3 series is laughable too. Why do I have to pay $475 for a fucking split folding rear seat? Why hasn't this been de facto standard since the 1980s?

Problem is, everyone says BMW's pricing is a joke, but nobody votes with their wallets - they get right into another lease and BMW makes money hand over fist, year in, year out. Now all BMW offers is an extremely diluted market of severely overpriced vehicles. 15 years ago I never thought in a million years that BMW (and other Germans, BMW isn't the only one here) would be selling $50k+ 2015 vehicles with halogen headlights. But the market hasn't spoken loud enough, and people just keep buying them up.
They charge that much because they can. Plain and simple. If this wasn't working, they wouldn't keep beating last years sales number every single month.

It's not like it's a BMW thing only. Look at the German counterparts. Hell, I was building an Accord sedan online and that was nearly $30k. Have you seen what 4Runners go for nowadays? Crazy. Hell you just said your Mustang was $42k. What were base V8 Mustangs going for in 2004? Certainly not that.

I plan on buying 1 new car (just to be able to feel that experience of custom ordering my own M2 or M3) and then that's it. Makes so much more sense to buy used and not take a bath on cars nowadays.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0