11-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
No BMW, it is your so-called sports cars that aren't selling. No one wants your hard-top convertible sports cars for a reason.

Build a proper fixed roof affordable sports car and it will sell.

Cars like the Stingray are selling like gangbusters. Less expensive car like the next gen Miata is going to fly of the showroom floors.

BMW execs, ask yourself this question. Would you buy a Z4 for the same price as a Boxster or Cayman? Lets see a Z4 35is or a Boxster/Cayman S...yeah exactly.
I agree build proper sports cars that are more reasonable to own as weekend cars and the wealthy would pick them up. BMW is trying to build jack of all trades sports car for comfort and luxury that really make no one happy. Focused cars like frs Brz. Corvette are flying off shelves because they are high value focused cars. Status is now shown by the SUV but many would still want a fun, less expensive weekend car that BMW doesn't make. Look at every car BMW makes now. They all have the exact same SUV cockpit with comfort everything, nav idrive folding everything. The only difference is the weight. Not even interior space as new SUVs like X6 have the same or even less interior room than a sedan. I think the age where expensive sports car defines status is gone. There is a new frugality after the crash where luxury is masked by "utility". People can fee good about their rolling palace because they can say it's great for carrying kids and leather is not cool because it smells or feels good
But because it wipes clean easier. People even justify the x6 because it has an SUV label even though it weighs 5000 lbs and has no more room than a 5 series sedan 1000 lbs less. BMW is lost at the moment, they need focus. They need dr. Z back like Apple needed Steve jobs back when they were selling at $12 share. Many here defend everything BMW does but this does little to help BMW mature into its new physical size. They are following now more often than leading and when they lead it's often silly things like no dipsticks, forced run flats, fake sound and ever softer suspensions . Their claim to fame was great steering feel and that is a work in progress and while pretty good not sure they lead in that. I just drove new fwd gti. I don't like fwd! But at 25K it was a blast, fun, comfortable. At that price point anyone can own a big lux SUV and buy a Gti, Brz, firs as their runabout sports Car. I am rooting for BMW to make a
Comeback like apple did when they were lost!

Last edited by nachob; 11-11-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0