01-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #120
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
All this inevitable 4 vs 6 cylinder talk makes me wonder...

What is keeping M from taking the S55, ripping out the turbos and all associated plumbing, intercoolers, etc. Saving a good amount of weight in the process. And then tuning that base S55 engine the best they can on whatever their budget?
I don't really think that is a plausible option, only because it is an engine built for forced induction, not NA. But what I don't understand is why can they not build a naturally aspirated inline 6 like what was in the E46 M3? With 8-9 years more of technology they should easily be able to extract 350-360 hp out of a naturally aspirated and high revving inline 6 about 3-3.2 liters in capacity. THAT is what I would like to see.

At the time the S54 was the highest output naturally aspirated engine in production (short of the million dollar McLaren F1), how fucking exciting of a prospect is that? Not only that but the critical acclaim the car received- why wouldnt BMW want to re-create that car? With the advancements in CFRP they should easily be able to make a 3200lb M2 with a 350-360hp inline 6 revving to 8000rpm. That car would rip.
Appreciate 0