View Single Post
      11-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #19
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Scissor jacks like the ones being discussed here are intended to be used rarely and on a perfectly flat surface. They are compact and constructed of steel stamping in order to be light. Strength is not their intended design.

Floor jacks on the other hand are designed for repeated use, are much much much stronger, and are far easier to lift a car. Most importantly, they are FAR safer at lifting a car. I have seen many instances of scissor jacks collapsing and/or falling over because they were either setup incorrectly, the e-brake not set (i.e. the car rolls slightly backwards), or weren't used on a perfectly flat and level surface. Emergency scissor jacks are great for emergencies. I keep one in my M235 at all times as well as a tire plug kit.

It really doesn't make any sense to buy a $20 scissor jack for swapping wheels when you can buy a fairly decent 1.5-2.0 ton floor jack for $30-40. I have a $120 Harbor Freight low-profile jack and three $30-40 1.5 ton jacks. A 1.5 ton jack is small and lightweight. I'd suggest buying two floor jacks and a set of jack stands for wheel swaps and having a scissor jack in the car if you're experienced with installing temporary tire plugs.
Uhh... the link in the quote you replied to is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-...ump-62160.html

Scissor jack not found.
Appreciate 0