bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
To answer that question about the E9x M3 and E6x M5/6 LSDs -- those are viscous action LSDs with lockup varying from 0-100% based on load and slip. On corner entry (deceleration) they are open, 0%, so no corner entry to apex pushing. The "issue" some have with these is that they require slip to have started to begin to function, but I will say that it works right away and is very progressive with load (power). My jury is still out on my overall opinion of it, but I think you'll find no racer would care for the design -- they would much prefer an "old" Salisbury LSD with proper ramp angles for load/unload they want and the static lock they desire in order to give a more predictive and functional solution on track.
Yeah, the reason racers don't like the viscous LSDs is because once you've got slip, you've got loss of traction. Depending on your lateral load, that can cause the outside tire to blow past its traction limit, and you end up with less forward thrust, and more sideways drift (increased oversteer). Granted, it only matters when you're down to tenths of a second, which is exactly what racers are concerned with. It can be a confidence killer though. The slip that results from a viscous LSD can be unsettling to the chassis, which can have varying results based on how close you are to the edge.

Great info in your post
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0