View Single Post
      12-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
fugluten23
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive Dinan Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
If you are swapping to the staggered summers, you'll need to buy the fatter rims for the back to fit the fatter tire too; that adds cost of course. Then, the fact you live in NJ, you'll need a set of winter tires as the summers are useless below 40 degrees as you'll be on AWD hockey pucks and that's dangerous in cold. Most will get rims for those winter tires as well rather than swapping tires on/off 2 times/year. All in for 2 new fatter rims for the back for staggered summers about $500, 4 new summer tires $700, 4 new winter tires $750ish, 4 new winter rims another $600 along with 4 new tire pressure monitors for those winter rim/tire package $360; all in about $3k.
I heard that the rear rims on the m235 were half an inch wider then the front, is that true? If so, I was thinking of a 245/225 staggered setup. Nothing too crazy and something still tolerable by the xDrive. Maybe that wouldn't be worth it cost to performance wise?

Regarding the winter tire setup. I live in NJ and work partly in NYC and partly in Northern Jersey which requires a car. Working in NYC consists purely of mass transit which is easily accessible where I live. On bad winter days or extremely cold days, I would just mass transit if I needed to get anywhere. I figure if I got extreme performance summer tires like I had on my old g35, then I'd only be able to not drive the car for potentially 2-4 weeks total out of the year which isn't bad at all given the circumstances.

I'm always overly optimistic that we'll get great winters though, which I'm rarely right about lol.

But I'm not too focused on the alternative winter wheel setup and probably wouldn't go that route. I'm much more interested in squeezing out any extra noticeable performance that I can out of this car under the 2k budget constraint.
Appreciate 0