View Single Post
      08-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
This is just further proof that BMW and other car companies are run by MBAs and their spreadsheets with product/market fit charts. There is little room for innovation. All the "innovation" is done by 3rd parties like Mobile eye and their tech is sold to BMW's competitors too.

Where as, Tesla is run by software engineers and technologists. Sorry BMW but you have no chance. Model 3 is the iPhone of cars and BMW is starting to look like Nokia and blackberry. Tesla hires some of the best engineers, including, recently the GOD of artificial intelligence: https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/20/te...opilot-vision/
While I do agree with what you are saying about "innovation" I do think that BMW or most other car companies compared to Tesla are misunderstood. You can't quite compare a car to something that is purely a piece of technology. The mobile phone is a piece of technology that can change what it is fundamentally and still be successful and viable in the future. One day we may not even need to aurally talk to each other through a technological device, instead we will have some other means of communicating. But for the automobile, it's different. An automobile will always need to be thing for personal transport on terra firma. That is until the day comes when we have flying cars.

BMW is a car company. Tesla is a car company too and not a technology company. Google is a technology company. So is Apple. Even though cars have become more technologically advanced, it can never be a pure piece of technology as long as it has four wheels.

With that said, I think BMW is executing the right strategy here with all their people who have MBA's. A BMW should always be a BMW, meaning that a 3-Series should always be a drivers car that can out-handle and provide the best driving experience against any of its competitors no matter if it is ICE, Hybrid, or pure EV. Tesla's on the other hand are indeed almost marvels of technological innovation, but if you've ever driven one, the steering feels dead, the handling isn't great, the ride comfort and interior comfort are ok, and the luxury, ergonomic, and aesthetic aspects are still far behind the German Big Three. Tesla is more like driving an iPhone than it is driving a car, it's true and that's OK, because that's what makes Tesla a Tesla. A BMW, Audi, or Mercedes on the other hand, is like driving a luxury car first and driving a piece of technology second.

BMW doesn't need to become Tesla, it needs to be a BMW. I really wish they never got rid of their old slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" because a BMW should always be exactly that, with the emphasis on the "Driving" experience, and not just being able to go from point A to B where the "Driving" experience doesn't matter.

BMW is playing it safe, and that is good. They are right, that no one can predict yet how things will play out. We have entire countries that already want to do away with purely combustion engine vehicles in years to come, but that will be difficult and although companies like Tesla are paving the way, there will be difficulties in making everything electric in the future. Such as where all of the material comes from to make the batteries, such as Cobalt from the Democratic Republic of Congo, and other rare materials such as zinc, magnesium, cadmium, manganese, and cobalt oxide.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-cobalt-mining

I think that BMW's strategy is the ideal solution to an uncertain future. Streamline production that so that all three types of power-trains can be produced and curtail any production inefficiencies as soon as possible in order to maximize production and save money in the long term. BMW's strategy to also keep the i Division going as their true "Innovation" branch is a great thing too. This is the part of BMW that will compete directly with Tesla. They don't need to have the entire line up products try to be Tesla-fighters, instead give the consumer a choice where they can buy a Tesla or they can buy a Tesla-like BMW that will definitely offer more luxury, more design aesthetics, and more comfort/ergonomics than a Tesla.

The only question that now remains is the future of ///M Division. Will they stay pure ICE, or will they go Hybrid like Mercedes plans to do, or will they go pure Electric? Time will tell, my bet is that 8 years from now, we will see our first Hybrid BMW M5, and then another 8 years after that we may see pure Electric ///M Cars, but I hope they never go pure Electric.

I am just looking forward to the next generation G20 3-Series myself. The only BMW I look forward to buying in the future is a 6spd Manual M340i, if they will make one and bring it to the United States. Especially now that they've discontinued the 6-Series, the G20 M340i is the only car on my radar, I do think that the new 8-Series will be too ugly for me and also too much money. Plus they'll probably not put V12 engine in the new 8-Series and that is a real bummer to me.

Appreciate 3
M Heart120.50
Patrik158.00