View Single Post
      06-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #65
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

UPDATE:

We went to Hallett for the NASA event this last weekend. The car did pretty well. There were of couple of complaints:

1. I bought a new helmet - Stilo ST5 with built in communications. This muffled the sound of the car to the point where I was mis-shifting because I couldn't hear the car. I will need to explore the muffler delete option.

2. During my lesson with a pro coach, he pointed out that the Ohlins didn't have enough damping for the spring rates on the car. (We increased from spring rate to 550lb) This causes the car to hop on hard turns. When the dampers get warm, the problem is exacerbated. Friday's test and tune was when I set my best time - temperature was in the low 80s. On Saturday and Sunday, it got up to 96* outside and the damping caused me to lose as much as 1 second on my time. I originally thought it was the tires overheating but after reviewing the data, there was a turn where the hopping was unsettling the car so much that it cost me 8mph on the exit.

3. Brake calipers were rebuilt (pistons and seals had to be replaced - the pistons were completely warped) but towards the end of Sunday, the pedal got soft on me again. I chose to sit out the last two sessions.

So, what's next? Stoptech ST brakes will be installed this week. Next week will be starting the process to have the m235iR widebody, wing, brake ducts, 18x10" wheels, and anti-rollbar installed. We are exploring options on the shocks - MCS or JRZ. The Ohlins make a great street and occasional track suspension but I am asking too much of them.

What this means is that I will have two sets of wheels, Ohlins, and brand new PFC 11 front pads up for sale soon.
Attached Images

Instagram: @Capt_and

Last edited by capt_and; 08-20-2018 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0