Kenpo Karate
2009 M135i // 2018 M240i-DINAN // Yamaha YZF
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i DINAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Look without getting into a lengthy discussion about things:

The M2 vs M235/M240 argument is stupid, and people need to stop justifying their own purchases to themselves like this.

I own an M235i, but an M2 is a much different animal. You aren't just adding a bit more power, you have the entire M3/M4 suspension, diff, brakes etc. You have the wider tract, you have a true Dual Clutch box, etc.

They are slightly different animals, at home in different environments. Neither car is better than the other in ALL situations. If you live in a town where the roads are crap, or mostly cobblestone, you really might want to consider the non M2 car, as it might rattle itself to bits on those roads.

If you don't give a damn about ride quality, and like to toss the car around like crazy, and enjoy some semi competitive track driving, the M2 is a better choice. Mod for mod, you can get the M235 or M240 to come close in performance or even outperform a stock M2, but the ceiling for the M2 is higher. You have a lot more room to play with on the M2 for wheels, suspension, brakes etc.

Having said that, the entire thing is a moot point, they are so close in price, buy the one that better suits your needs, no need to try and justify why you feel one is better than the other. They are both great cars, leave it at that.

As for suspension, and bump stops etc. I really haven't seen people complain about bump stops.. so this is an odd one? But realistically in this case its a good thing, first of all, it helps with the ride stability, and secondly, you don't really want to experience your springs binding or collapsing anyways. But at the end of the day, for a street driven car, where you just want to lower the car a bit without making the ride insufferable, why would you NOT go with these? It is great for a street setup, where you want a little stiffer, and a little lower.

As for the points system, I mean, its their company, even if I got enough points, I wouldn't really put a DINAN badge on my car, just because not something I want to start even advertising necessarily. But yes, the point system is somewhat linked to cost, what do you expect? You spend a certain amount of money you will have a DINAN car. Its usually linked to having a full package from them, like an S3 dinan car will come with a badge, and it makes sense, since you will have a pretty good range of power/suspension etc products attached to it. Your gripe here is you spent 3k and wanted the badge already? I mean if it means that much to you, just order a knock off on ebay.

As for DINAN warranties things like that etc. I've seen a lot of people kind of misunderstand this, DINAN parts can definitely void your warranty, but what dinan does is match the factory warranty in case BMW tries to deny you coverage.

Say you installed the dinan stage 3 kit, and you blow up your transmission. You go to the dealer, and they say well, we blame the dinan software for this, and deny the repair, dinan would then step in and cough up the repairs. Its not going to be as easy everywhere as it is in California for instance, since I think MOST BMW dealers are also authorized Dinan dealers here as well, which makes the experience smoother.

But there is no doubt about it, you definitely pay for the cost of that peace of mind.
Wonderful input thank you!

GO SPEED RACER:

So... The M240 with the DINAN INTAKE/EXHAUST/COMPUTER-TUNE is pushing out 425HP with Torque numbers in the 480s which are crazy high numbers and no street car truthfully could have much more power than that which could be used without risking jail time and loosing your license and then you’re walking making car noises because thats all you can drive anymore, your legs.

DINAN STUFF:

I have to say I love the sound the DINAN Exhaust makes. I live the extra HP it gives. I love the response the car has with that balls to wall torque it pushes out. The badge? Meh.. I could care less about the badge, I was just tying to point out the silliness of the point system and that it means money spent not necessarily performance gained. I have driven M3s and M4s and personally I think they are too physically big (I call them daddy cars on lots of steroids) I love the one and two series cars because it’s smaller and to me sportier/racier and maneuverable. Not a speed boat on wheels. That’s just me, they seem to big to me to be a “Sports car.” The one and two’s to me are pushing it but still passable.

M2 VS M240 discussion:

M2 MSRP - $53,500
M240 MSRP $45,300

That’s $10,200. So my only point is if you buy an M240 and invest $6,000 (Computer, intake, exhaust, suspension- springs, cambers, bump-stops,) with OZHLT 19” rims) you save save $5K and the car is faster and will handle arguably equally as well. Yes the M2 has a higher ceiling but then that’s according to DINAN $8,000 above and beyond the already almost $10,500 more you have spent. So yes you’ll have reached that higher ceiling at almost $20,000 more invested at that point. Where as M240 + DINAN means a better performing car than the stock M2 at an over $5,000 savings. That’s all I was saying. Not really really comparing all the exponential possibilities and capabilities. I don’t care for automatic vehicles i learned to drive in Europe and think automatics are lame, so mine is a manual 6 speed so that’s a non issue in comparing them. Put 19”OZHLT RIMS on or just buy the M2 rims and sell the M240s, but the OZs are better rims and can be actually be cheaper. Put the 6K in with the rims and it’s more powerful and super well handling car for less money. But again, if you’re trying to use this on the street, hopefully you like Bologna sandwiches and kool-aid because that’s what you’ll eat for a few days in lock-up and you’ll be walking after that. A DINAN M240 is already more than you can use on the street so unless you’re go Ng to spend some time and money on the track, the M2 just to me isn’t worth it. That goes I think to your basic point.. for me, in reality, in DC, the M240 DINAN is the better buy dollar for dollar, HP to HP and in speaking with DINAN they also agree. I mean seriously who can drive like this in the street?

THE ROADS:

Now with all that said the roads in the greater washingron DC metropolitan area are terrible. Potholes, chopped up roads, grooves in the roads, speed bumps that could double for skateboarding ramps, salt and sand from rough winters and so on. The roads around here are things that nightmares are made of. The M240 is already so low that it’s somewhat problematic in nature and to lower it with lowering springs would only further exacerbate the problem. Camber plates, bump-stops? Maybe. Lowering the car around here? I’m not so sure.

Please don’t get me wrong, I like (maybe even love) the DINAN stuff a lot, I just wish they cared a little more about the customer. Seem a bit arrogant in nature those guys. We are there for them not the reverse. I agree, the peace of mind is worth it. Fortunately the local DINAN dealer / installer is across the street from BMW and does it for local BMW dealerships, they have a cooperative relationship. They are well known and respected at DINAN and at BMW.

FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED?

In the end I’m a sport-biker at heart and if anyone has the true need for speed? How about my YamaYZF? The R1 has a 0-60 of 2.6 seconds. What’s going to beat that? Any M car? The Ferrari 488, McLaren or a Lamborghini can’t beat that. And the R1 is slow compared to some other bikes like the GSXR or the Hayabusa. Now those things are pure energy.

Anyways, thank you again, I greatly do appreciate your input it was very helpful. This is all still an education for me and a work In Progress. Thank you!

Last edited by Kenpo Karate; 01-17-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0