View Single Post
      08-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

First off, the M235 is not marketed as an M car, thus it doesn't have the full blown M tuning or rawness. I can also promise you that any NA motor will be down on power in hot/humid conditions compared to a turbo motor. PROMISE. Take it from someone that raced cars at the strip on crisp low humidity days and sweltering summer days. It's called density altitude (DA) and the difference between running a typical NA street car in the fall vs summer typically amounts to around .4-.5 seconds and 4-5mph in the 1/4 mile in the same car, same mods, same driver, same 60 foot. Turbos fair better and are more consistent because they will increase boost to compensate for the DA (i.e., lack of oxygen in the air). I'm not saying turbos don't suffer from heat soak and DA, but typically they fair better than an NA car in poor DA and/or at higher altitudes. Hot weather and altitude will also increase lag and many perceive this as much lower power because the turbo doesn't hit as hard.

With respect to the M235's feel, keep in mind that it was only 0.5 seconds slower on a 1.8 mile road course in a comparison test with the M2. Same driver's, same testing days, etc. That's pretty dang impressive considering the small tires, wheels, less track focused suspension, and lower power.

Body roll, lean, and some wallowing might not be ideal, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's significantly affecting handling. Perhaps it's reducing driver confidence, but the numbers appear to depict the M235 as a very good performing car when it comes to handling, grip, and braking.

The M235 is a street-focused refined RWD sports car with a base price of $45K that provides exceptional handling and acceleration all the while offering decent room, utility, and comfort. There's not much in it's class that compares. It walks a fine line between comfy and raw hence the M Performance tuned status. If you want something more raw, then look to the M cars.

As for the steering, I just don't get all the complaints about it being numb. I've owned a 90 CRX Si (quick manual rack), a G35 (RWD, great hydraulic rack), and 2012 WRX (hydraulic rack, got really good after an alignment and $1,500 suspension upgrade). I also rent tons of cars for work, thus I know how bad an electronic rack can be. I find the electronic rack and steering feel in the M235 to be exceptional for what the car is, especially after I brought the PSI up in the front to around 37-38 cold (to match the rears).

Have any of you guys taken your M235s on tracks or even back roads and really explored what the car can do? IMO, the car transforms once you push it beyond 7/10s driving. It all comes together. I'm not saying the car is a precision instrument, but it does really good for the price. If you want more, well there's plenty of mods to get you there or perhaps you should have gotten something more performance focused. If you can accept the car for what it is, you'll be far happier.
Appreciate 5