View Single Post
      05-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #335
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Having been driving/tracking/autocrossing/racing BMWs since the 1970s, I guess my perspective is a bit different. I love the S65 and E90 M3 -- fantastic driving experience and, btw, the only stock class BMW to be competitive in SCCA autox in many years (the prior one was a one-year showing for the E46 ZHP in D-stock many years ago). These BMW V8s (i.e. S62 in my M5 and S65 in my M3) are simply wonderful designs, each with profoundly different character, that they will long be remembered and sought after. My M5 (had it forever) is actually the only car I've ever owned that declined in price, bottomed (in 2009) and has now strongly appreciated (up over 50% from what it would have sold for in 2009).

The very first M3, the E30, versus the E30 325is violates your claim right off the bat. The performance difference between the two was not dramatic (stock for stock) -- go back and read the test results from way back then. The M3 had vices compared to the 325is too such as the nasty 4cylinder vibration versus the perfectly (naturally) balanced M20 6cyl. The M3 was only 0.3 sec and 2mph faster in the 1/4 than the 325is. With a few suspension mods and headers/tune, the 325 was ahead/equal on track. Of course back then it was still actually possible to order a non-M BMW with an LSD, so that is one expense that wasn't needed to help match up the two.
I was going to reply to him, but decided it was a waste of time because he obviously either is too young to remember those cars or just not familiar with them. Another example would be the US E36 M3. Were they even that much quicker than a 328i?

At least with the E9x M3, you had the choice of an I6 vs a V8. Both great choices IMO, and both completely different (rather than I6 vs I6). And at the end of the day, the 335iS is not THAT much insanely cheaper than an M3 either, so there goes that argument as well.

And Desert Fox, if the S65 is so crappy, why did it win Best Engine in the 3 to 4L category from 2008 until 2012, and then coming second in 2013 only to the Mclaren engine? I assure you those judges were not a bunch of random E9x owners from M3post. Oh well, personally, I'm going to love enjoying both a V8 and turboed I6 when I add the next car.

P.S. Btw, I drove a buddy's E39 M5 the other week again and it seriously makes the perfect DD. What a great car. If only I could justify having 2 V8's in the garage. And you are absolutely right, prices have come way back up again. Can't find a clean Imola Red M5 for less than high teens.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0