09-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Most of them don't become teachers though.

If a guy is telling you to get hard on the brakes and you're not hard on the brakes, then you're going to plow past your turn in point and screw up the whole corner, and more importantly potentially putting the car in an unsafe location on the track or course. That's especially the case for events if there are multiple cars moving at once.

Either way, if you we're just slightly off your timing I find it hard to believe he'd pull you over. If you were doing your own thing and getting frustrated at him yelling at you, you were probably being unsafe.

He might have just been a dick, or been having a bad day - but when you're an amateur behind the wheel of a 3500lb machine with 2 other peoples lives behind your hands, instructors take safety seriously. There are always 2 sides to every story.

And if you say "oh we'll we were just in a parking lot" I can show you videos of stock cars flipping over at autoX's because someone puts the cars sideways, the tires dig in so far it grabs the rim and the car will grab and roll.
Pretty sure the guy was just being a dick. If you've been to an autoX and know that the organizers are about safety first, then you know they would do everything they can to minimize cars being put into jeopardy by designing the track not to be too fast for the level of driver along with turns that don't require a high level of expertise... where bad decisions could lead to catastrophe.

This being an event aimed at enthusiasts who may have never done an autoX in their lives, I'm sure it was a fairly slow, non-technical track. There most likely weren't any hairpin turns following a fast section of the track that allowed for these cars to hit 80mph. And if there were, then the course designers were idiots. Let's just say it's probably safe to assume that the coach was an asshole. Seems a more likely assumption than the OP trying to drive the car on two wheels.
Appreciate 0