12-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #121
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
Quote:
I wrote a long response to your rant and it did not upload so you will only get this.
Perfect, less crap to respond too.

Quote:
I have done material design for loudspeakers for over 20 years on equipment far more expensive than any BMW. I have a CES International Design and Engineering award I can email you a picture of anytime you want to see it. Do you think I might know a thing or two about this subject?
Whatever accolades you have recieved, I care not for them. I'm concerned only with what you wrote in this thread. Don't waste your time uploading pictures of extreaneous material. We are dealing with simple stuff here, things a first year engineering student understands, things that we can discuss without the need for posturing.

Quote:
Think about what I said and your reactive and illogical response. When I wrote it would be out of aluminum and stiffer was because I believe BMW knows plenty about subframe design and would never change materials without a through redesign of the parts and in doing so would make it stiffer to be in an M car. Duh! BMW might even know more than you. Heck the rumor I heard could be wrong and it is being made out of steel?
This is an entirely different position from your previous, from one that suggested an increase in stiffness of the subframe that was achieved only via the merrits of modern aluminum alloys. What you wrote here actually makes sense. Why you didn't bother to post this the first time, I will never know. You have said you have design experience as a real world engineer? When then, why would you proffer incomplete ideas, when you should be intimately familiar with the machine design process. And, when you know how important percision with words and numbers is to our profession. Saying that the subframe will be stiffer just because its aluminum is a misprepresentation. I very politely and very logically pointed out that your conclusion was incorrect. Then, you say I have to take medication. And, you're calling me reactionary? Right......
I'm not going to suggest you are a bad engineer, since internet forums tend to reduce tacit knowledge to the least common demoninator but, good god. Engineers who behave like this in the work place are dreadful to work with.
This has nothing to do with BMW and their chassis engineers. I was never even talking about how BMW performs their chassis design process. I was talking about you and the assertions you were making about BMW's final product. That bit you have about BMW is just a non sequitur.....

Quote:
Having added $2500 + of M3 components to my 135 I know the differences between both M and non M subframes and the newer generation F series geometry etc.
That's fine. Lots of people here, including myself, have either added M parts to their non M vehicles and/or driver M cars themselves. We all know the chassis in the M cars are better.

Quote:
All I was suggesting is what I heard rumored about the weight savings to benefit everyone and you went off about your materials peeve to try and show off all you think you know. This is a form for enthusiast not an online class. Don't bother to respond to this as I am done with you an your illogical assumptions and rants. Relax dude, take your medication, and have a nice holiday!
Jesus Christ...... This isn't a class room so, you can just post incorrect information? You know laypeople take the engineers word as canon. I'm glad Antares get's it.

Last edited by Jonjt; 12-21-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0