bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
...can't really tell for sure but run-flats have harder edges which look more squared off to me. I probably should have said nothing after looking at it again. No way to really tell for sure from the video. But still, why test a car and compare it to others when it doesn't have all the performance options anyone who would track this car would add. It's not like the LSD is aftermarket, it is an option you order just like ordering non-runflat tires. That's why when others compared it to the 1M the M235 was equipped with LSD. Understanding the LSD's for the true M and non-M cars are different. It is still more of an apples to apples comparison at that point.
It's a press car. If you're going to blame someone, blame BMW. Also, as you pointed out, you can't really tell in the video whether it has run-flats, and the LSD isn't an option. I'm glad we've seen reviews with and without. I wouldn't call it an "option" because doesn't appear in the BYO configurator. M Performance parts aren't much different than, for example, the Ford Racing catalog. They're not factory installed options; they're first-party aftermarket.

It seems to me that a lot of people are just upset at the lap time, but keep in mind that this is one result with one car. Deon noted several times that he was holding a lower gear. Maybe that wasn't the best strategy? Maybe he wasn't over driving the chassis, which may have resulted in a better time. I still don't think any of those things are negative. This was a good representation of the M235i being driven the way it was engineered to drive. Sure, it might be possible to squeeze a little more out of the car, but that might also mean driving the tires off of it; which no one is going to do.

He praised the car for its strengths, which are a sporty (not track-ready) chassis and a great engine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being 2 seconds off a car like the 1M when you look at the total package.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0