View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #95
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Right, but that 335 sedan isn't an M performance model. Whether or not that is blasphemy or not, these two cars have different purposes, or they should at least. The M235 has some of that M magic, so a 335is sedan would be a better comparo, if there were such a thing. Or if there were a regular old 235 (which doesn't exist) in the lineup, one might expect to see it plopped between the 228i and the M235i...

I wouldn't think those that are waiting on an M235 (like me) would cross shop against the F30 335 (I didn't and wouldn't).

Similarly, if they made a M335, then you would see a nice uptick in price. Just an observation.
I think that's a really good point, dmboone25

It didn't occur to me that you wouldn't cross-shop the two cars. Obviously, add M-Sport to that 335 base price ($3100) and now we're talking a reasonable difference. Also, if you're shopping coupe to coupe, it takes $2900 to get into a 435, then an additional $3100 to get M-Sport. Maybe there's room in there after all. It's a subtle point, though, about what you're getting for your money (equipment and M-Magic). I think a lot of customers who don't understand the lineup like we do are going to ask that question. I know that my Dad didn't really buy the explanation when I told him that's why the 335is cost so much more than a 335i.

Seems like the $11,000 difference between the 2er cars contains $6k for the standard difference, and $3k for M-Sport, leaving $2k in equipment? That makes sense. You can see it when you go to option up the 235m -- there's nothing else to put on the car! When you option a 228 to match a 235m, the cost difference between the cars shrinks significantly. That makes the case to jump up to the 35 somewhat self-evident.

I guess it just kills me that the M-Sport package costs $3k, and the premium pkg costs like 4k on the 28i -- I remember when they were less. My dad just bought a 128i and paid $1900 for the M-Sport package. I think they're steering us towards the 35i. My heart isn't complaining, ha ha ha... just my wallet.

Sorry for the digression here, everybody!

PS - I will totally applaud them for the packaging on the 2-Series though. Stand alone options of Xenons ($900) and Harmon-Kardon ($875ish) are real winners. In the previous generation 1er and 3er, they were requiring BMW Assist ($600) to get the Harmon and bundling the Xenons with the Premium Package! Total dick moves that seem to have been quickly reversed.
Appreciate 0