View Single Post
      02-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #53
PlayItLoud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive, 2016 228i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Sorry, but you need to supply proof beyond your own personal accounts.

Beyond what's been supplied by others, here's one of those Car and Driver articles I alluded to earlier. A quote from that article (emphasis added):

In the U.S., manufacturers voluntarily follow the standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, J1226, which is pretty lax. To begin with, manufacturers are afforded the latitude to aim for within plus-or-minus two percent of absolute accuracy or to introduce bias to read high on a sliding scale of from minus-one to plus-three percent at low speeds to zero to plus-four percent above 55 mph. And those percentages are not of actual speed but rather a percentage of the total speed range indicated on the dial. So the four-percent allowable range on an 85-mph speedometer is 3.4 mph, and the acceptable range on a 150-mph speedometer is 6.0 mph.

:: drops mic ::
Well known since the early 80's at least. (Yeah, I got grand kids). The oddity was the 2 Nissan 350Zs I owned. In both cases the digital speedometer always read faster than the analog by about 2% to 3%. I tended to rely on the digital more than the analog with those two cars.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00