View Single Post
      11-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #1094
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Thank you for all of that information. This is my first year storing a car. Mine will be in my garage at home on wheel savers, and I have a CTEK battery tender. The only part of your process which I did not expect was running the fuel tank down. I had read about filling it completely (and with stabilizer onboard) to prevent condensation from forming inside the empty tank. Thoughts? Thanks again.
Yeah, everything I've ever read says that a full tank with stabilizer is the way to go. I've stored my bikes and cars that way for years with no issues ever.

I just stored my 235 for the winter yesterday (3rd winter in storage). My process is:
  • fill the tank and add Sta-Bil stabilizer
  • inflate tires 2 pounds over normal (35 front/40 rear)
  • plywood pieces under the tires
  • unheated garage
  • California Car Cover indoor cover
  • battery tender with cable fed from underneath engine
  • dryer sheets in engine bay, trunk, and tailpipes for mice
  • mouse trap in engine bay and next to left front tire
  • notify insurance carrier that car is stored for reduced premium

My biggest worry is the mice. One got in the engine bay the first year of storage. I noticed it within a week of storing the car, so I added the dryer sheets and traps. No apparent damage other than a few droppings on the engine cover and no more signs of mice that year, but I did catch three last year in the trap next to the tire and caught one in the engine bay trap.

I store mine from late November/early December to the end of March. It's a long and sad 4 months.