Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
It's great to save money - I do it all the time, but I still question why someone who buys a car with sporting capabilities skimps on gas. So even with a 50 cent per gallon difference between regular and premium, that amounts to a savings of $250 per year. That $5 a week, or about 80 cents per day. This calculation assumes 12k miles per year at 24mpg. Your savings will vary.
Because $250 is still $250.. and if you're not tracking or racing your car, most people can't tell the difference when running 87 or 93 octane gas. So if you can't tell a difference in performance, but you have an extra $250 at the end of the year, it makes perfect sense to not use premium gas.

BTW, asking why someone skimps on high octane gas because they bought a car w/ sporting capabilities is like asking why everyone with said capabilities aren't racing their car at a track. Really.. how many sports car owners, of any brand, use their car for what they were designed for? And BMW didn't put knock sensors in these cars for nothing.. they did it because they know people will use reg gas.. and if I had to guess, there's probably just as many or more people in the general public that use 87/89 octane gas them Premium. A poll here is going to be skewed because we're not average car owners..
Sorry but it seems silly to me. I'm out. Thanks.