09-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #115
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeped View Post
I test drove an atsv coupe last week. It along with many other atsv's on the lot were discounted up to 12%. Overall I liked the look of the car in person better than I had in pictures. The interior seemed acceptable as well. Im not partial to any one brand and generally drive what I like, justed wanted to add that bit of info. Problems started as soon as I turned the key.... This example with just 14 miles on the odo seemed to have an annoying moan coming from the driveline somewhere while at idle. It was quite loud and very concerning/disturbing. Then the test drive went far worse. Massive rattling and squeaking (very loudly) coming from what seemed to be the mid section of the car. More on that later. Still trying to be fair I continued down the road. Moving along I give it about 40-50% throttle and what do I hear next? Audible detonation from under hood. I was shocked. I gave part throttle a few more times and each returned distinct audible detonation. The sales guy was an idiot and didnt know what that was. I reluctantly slammed the throttle to the floor and the car seemed very slow. Much slower than my 235. The car was also in track mode. Now clearly there was something drastically wrong with this car on multiple levels because i know this is an impressively powerful car. Back at the dealer I open the door and the sales guy points out the weather seal around the drivers door is hanging off. He figures this is what caused the rattling and loud squeaking. So it still moaned at idle, detonated at part throttle, and was very sluggish. No brand new car especially at this price point should be such a bag of shit on a test drive. Nothing could make me want this car after that experience and the dealer should be ashamed. Major turn off when a brand new car on a test drive has so many issues. Oh and he offered $28500 for my nearly loaded '14 m235 with 18k miles in pristine condition which stickered for $55k. No thanks and will never go back. Good luck to those who try the atsv. Not for me even though I wanted to like it.
That sounds horrible! I don't know what you drove, but that sure doesn't sound anything like my ATS-V which has been amazing. You should drive another example of the car because you definitely drove a lemon. I'd also question the quality of the dealership you went to. They clearly aren't up to luxury brand standards.

Regarding what they offered for your trade-in, that's not too far off what I'd expect. You can get a 2014 M235i with under 18K miles for under $34K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3812/overview/

I'm sure you could have gotten them up to $30K for your car, which would leave them with a few thousand in profit (standard for used car markup).

Regardless, having owned a 2015 M235i for a year prior to the ATS-V, the cars aren't even in the same league performance-wise. The ATS-V makes the M235i feel slow...like really slow. It's night and day. Don't even get me starting on the steering feel. The ATS-V has the best steering response I've felt in any car over the past few years. My 2007 Z4M Coupe was always the benchmark I used and this ATS-V may have it beat.

The only complaint I have about my ATS-V is the backup camera, which is terrible. Aside from that minor issue, the car has been flawless both in terms of performance and quality. Just to give you an idea of the cars I've owned in the last 10 years for comparison purposes...

2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe (purchased used in 2007)
2007 Z4M Coupe (new)
2009 Z4 Roadster (purchased used in 2011)
2011 335i Sedan (new)
2013 535i Sedan (new)
2013 Audi S4 (new)
2014 335i Sedan (new)
2015 M235i Coupe (new)
2016 C300 Sedan (new)
2016 ATS-V Coupe (new)

So far, the ATS-V would rank as my 2nd favorite car (Z4M is 1st). That's how good it is all around. Of course, things could change over time if problems start developing. However, right now I'm very happy with the car. Great first impressions.

Last edited by M2audioman; 09-12-2016 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0