View Single Post
      05-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #82
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I have one of the Canadian 50 "limited" run Performance Edition 235 models. I got it last March, after hunting all winter, for about the same (if not 2-3k less) as I would have paid for a same equivalent spec'd CPO car (minus M parts). Paid $49k w/ 15k kms, CPO until 2021 and basically got the M Performance parts for free, also, the M-perf LSD. Was selling for 5-8K under what others have been sold for since. This car MSRP'd for $59,900cdn (about $67k all in to the first owner), no M2 available at the time, and didn't care to jump on the bandwagon paying over MSRP and waiting for 6-12 months. I figured for a one year old car, the price/kms/features only made sense. I don't mind sinking about $10k into it to get it where I want it to be, which would be equal to/ slightly higher performance, than a stock M2. If I bought an M2, I would have waited about a year, and still would have the mod bug, so this car what the perfect recipe for what I had planned. There's no sense in paying for things I would replace anyway in the long run, like brakes, suspension, engine bolt-ons, etc. All I would have done, by buying an M2, is increased my total costs. But, I could say I have an M2!!!!!

There's something special (sometimes) about owning a limited run of OEM equipped cars. When I sell it, I feel I'll hit home with a buyer who appreciates its uniqueness. For me, it's the first car I've purchased (first BMW for that matter) that I literally have to do nothing to the exterior to make it the way I'd like (wheels included). If I bought a factory M235i at the time, same options, I'd have paid about $5-7k more delivered, would get tanked on depreciation, and would still have to purchase the $5k worth of M Performance add ons. In this case, to me, it made sense.

THAT SAID, I would not have paid $59,900+tax for this car. Better yet, I wouldn't pay MSRP on a brand new M2, either. There's enough performance in these cars to keep things interesting for years to come. Not many of us on these boards can run the m235i to it's absolute performance limits, let alone the M owners who brag more than they drag. So it's really a want, vs need, in this case. When I saw the m235i for the first time, I knew it was going to be a special car. It's been no exception. I would not sell this car to buy an M2, but I would for a 911..

My $.02 on this subjective topic.

Last edited by Dylan86; 05-17-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0