05-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #75
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Even though part of me feels like they are over-diluting the brand with all these minor variations, I am also impressed at how effective they have been at parsing out separate preferences. At this point I'm pretty sure that there is a BMW for most everyone, but not the same one. For every person who felt like the M2 was finally 'it' there are others who feel the same way about the 240, 228, or 335. Even the packages impart a lot of difference - I was surprised how much difference there was when I did one of those 'drive for the cause' events - I'd assumed that a 335 was about like a 235, but WAY different (and at the end of that day, I wouldn't have traded my 228ix for any of them - reassuring to me, but probably not the effect they were looking for as they desperately tried to interest me in the 5 and 7 series). I'll refrain from arguing back at the other poster's enthusiastic bashing of anyone who disagrees - one aspect of human nature that we can't evolve out of soon enough for my taste.
The M2 is "unlimited" yet hard to find. This is "limited" but shouldn't be too hard to find.

An adman's dream.

I can see how a 228i (especially with base suspension) is different enough from a M2 in both price and comfort where many 228i buyers might think the M2 it too hardcore for daily use. My issue is more with this "M240i M Performance Edition."

I'm sure it's a blast to drive, but I just don't see how this could appeal to someone and not the M2. If both were readily available, sitting next to each other on a dealer lot with the same sticker, who's going to say, "I'll take the M240I M Performance Edition because the M2 is too performance orientated?" Sounds funny doesn't it.

Stick a carbon decklid and mirrorcaps on a 228i and call it day at that point.
Appreciate 1
Gabrola191.00