03-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #57
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
I'm beginning to think that the idea of a BMW 'purist' has been lost in badge mongering. The M235i is a brilliant car, with no competition at its price point. Yet, the constant droll of 'it's not a real M', 'buyers will get confused', etc. Seems to be only coming from the BMW community. More specifically, from badge whores that claim they aren't.

What a load of crap this is. The only people that need a 'true' M version of this car should meet the following criteria:

1. You belong to a track club.
2. You actually take advantage of open track days.

Outside of that, the M235 is not only a brilliant daily driver, but also one helluva weekend car. It fully deserves the badge. It's better than a vanilla series car, but not quite the penis treatment most 'M' buyers demand. I.e., it's not the most expensive car in the segment.

For those of you that will give an M2 the driving it deserves, I apologize. For those of you looking to lease an M2 to do donuts in the mall parking lot, stfu.
Agreed with everything you said. I'm not sure why the complaints about the M 235i not being a real "M" since it's not called an M2. BMW never claimed that it's an M2 and I don't think anyone else thinks of it as an M2 (or a full blown M car), hence the designation ///M 235i.

What I also don't understand is why those people even bothered to test drive it in the first place. Was it just so that they could crap on the car? M or not it's one hell of a car and IMO it fills the space between a regular version and the M2 quite nicely (if it ever comes out). Of course to each his own. I'm just stating my opinion since everyone else is voicing theirs.
Appreciate 0